6. "I Look Fat" Many people are worried about what others will think of them. The article points out that others may respect you for taking the step into the gym to do something about it. I agree. You know, these same "fit people" who work out in the gym can also see you in other public places. So, it's best to dispense with this fear...dare I say excuse?
7. "I'm Going to Get an Infection" The article points out that people are scared of getting staph infections. I have been a personal trainer for over 10 years and I have not heard of one infection contracted at the gym. Gyms are aware of this fear and provide sanitizing sprays and wipes for the equipment. Also, there are heavy penalties if anyone on the gym staff sees anyone who continually violates proper hygiene on the gym floor. Bring your own sanitizing wipes if you don't like what the gym provides...Make it a part of your equipment.
8. "I Won't be able to Stick with Working Out." How many other things in your life do you "stick with." Brushing your teeth, showering, clipping your nails...All things that you stick with....If you don't, please stay away from my gym!
This is where I can help. A personal trainer can help you keep your appointment with making a better you.
9. "I Don't Know Where to Start" This is probably one of the main reasons why people buy and drop their gym membership. They get a quick tour of the machines and facilities then you are left to fend for yourself. As a personal trainer, I can show you how to use the equipment, (when we use it). I am here to help you with your complete range of motion to help you get the most out of your time spent with me. This leads me to....Number 10...
10. "I'm Going to be Sore" As a personal trainer, I help you work different sets of muscles at a pace that will help your flexibility and strength. It is all about progression. I cannot promise that there won't be any soreness. However, I can promise you that if you stick with me, you will be in better condition to handle all the physical challenges outside the gym that cause you soreness.
Isn't it interesting that most of the reasons for most people not going or sticking with a gym membership would all go away if they had a personal trainer. Trainer is not the key word. The key word is "Personal."
Since this is the last blog for 2011, I want to thank you for your continued support! Have a happy and prosperous 2012! I'll see you on the other side.